Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Free Advice Costs Them So Much

I am hopeless optimist every time I try to give free advice to a business owner. Yet it is a habit that seems to have no cure.

A while ago I walked into one of my favorite eating establishments and much to my chagrin, it was empty. Knowing what I would hear, I asked, "What happened?"

"It's the economy." Man I despise that excuse. It's just such a cop out and a great crutch in which to hang all our internally generated mistakes on.

I went on to tell the owner that in the three years that I had been coming to eat there that he has never asked me for my e-mail or for my business card and then sent me a postcard, nor has he asked me to refer others. No need to ask, I have already turned 30people and friends onto this place.

While enthusiastically coaching him and giving him several workable ideas, he just nodded content in his excuses. I stood there waiting, like a fool giving free advice, hoping he would now ask me for my e-mail or card. No such luck. I didn't even get my meal comped for trying to be helpful and go out my way to see that he would do better financially.

He has probably seen about 2-3,000 clients since he has been in business and not once has he gathered their contact data and sent them something to cause them to remember him and come back. And refer even more.

You know, even in hard times people eat. I don't think my receiver of free advice has fully realized that those customers are still eating lunch. As to my advice, "Eat your heart out!"

Best, Edwin Dearborn

No comments:

Post a Comment