Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Didn't Relish My Pickle

This may seem insignificant, but I feel my free pickle is a microcosm of a bigger problem in marketing. You see, I didn't ask for, nor want a large pickle spear as part of my garnish.

I had ordered a pretty fancy sandwich and was kindly asked if I wanted a bag of chips or an apple. Feeling like I should be a healthier consumer, I went with the apple. The service was prompt, but right by my sandwich and my very small apple was a pathetic pickle spear. No one asked me if I wanted one, I just got it.

I say pathetic, as this uninvited guest was bereft of color or crispness. Already not a pickle eater, this just furthered my preconceived ideas of not liking pickles.

Why did they not spend that pickle money on a bigger, better apple? I mean that's what I wanted. So please bring to me the high level of exchange in what I wanted.

Or at least give me the option of a better garnish. I like grapes or maybe carrots.

In marketing, we may be providing unwanted pickles, when really our customer wants a better apple or something more pleasant. Small stuff, when offered correctly, are the important, personal touches that adds to our brand value.

Maybe you need to do a reality check and see that some of what you are providing is an unwanted pickle, that when discovered and remedied, now opens the door to providing the actual item that people want, and doing so with your saved up pickle money.

Best, Edwin Dearborn

No comments:

Post a Comment