Saturday, August 22, 2009

Making Connections with Networking


Many people network, but very few actually connect.
I was at a seminar today with CPA's and Dentists from all over the United States and had another opportunity to engage and make new friends. And once again, I learned a valuable lesson.
Many people were interested in talking about themselves, but so few were interested in others. Oh yes, they appeared to listen, but only for so long.
I had the chance to listen to what concerned two particular people. Both had problems and both had not really resolved them. When I listened and suggested ideas or tactics, they were both pleasantly surprised that I took an interest to such a degree that I actually had viable ideas to their resolution. Now mind you, these were not revolutionary ideas, just simple and workable.
The first gentleman was new to his job as a marketing director. I demonstrated that using analogies to well-known events was effective. This is the essence of positioning and story telling.
My second encounter was with a CPA who had to become more aggressive in marketing, as some of his old clients had gone bankrupt. When I pointed out that most that had not failed fit certain demographics, we discussed how the existing clients could be surveyed as to why they used him, what he offered that was most appreciated, as well as determining their needs and wants. From there, we could see who else was like this and target those types of markets.
The field was open as he never really had to market before is a smooth riding economy. But once the Titanic hit the economic iceberg, then he had to head for some promotional lifeboats.
Of course, both offered their cards without even asking. I wan an ally, and source of help, versus a hand sticking out to somehow schmooze my way into their lives.
Approach, engage and enlighten. Do this daily and you will have a huge network of people to do business with.
Best, Edwin Dearborn

No comments:

Post a Comment