Friday, August 14, 2009

Touchpoints: Crucial To Marketing & Revenue


My recent flight to San Francisco was an opportunity to experience the airline industry since starting my blog. I flew Southwest and it was a great experience. I was definitely not expecting to write about the glory of being packed in like tuna, but here we are.
Southwest's marketing strength is with their flight attendants and the whole philosophy that has developed excellent relationships with this crucial touchpoint. No, that doesn't mean you can touch the flight attendants. Let me explain the term for those that may not have heard it used before or just would enjoy some additional enlightenment.
What is a Touchpoint?
Let's take a bank for instance. A customer has vast possibilities to get in contact with a bank. Touchpoints in banking can include client service advisers, receipts, events, offerings, financial expert reports, mailings, website, research reports, sponsoring, word of mouth, e-banking, regional office or contacts by phone with the client service advisers, etc. In other words anything that reaches that actual user. The small stuff, the big stuff and everything in between.
When I fly, it does not really matter to me who I fly with. I am not a "core customer", but I wanted to become one after that flight. And this is the key to your marketing strategy. How do we improve the experience at our touchpoints to convert and keep more business?
The flight attendants were not ugly, we quite helpful and even added some levity and humor to their announcements. They always smiled and you could tell that all their antics were encouraged. Airlines are the same to me. Just get me there in one piece, on time, and we're all good. Pilots, I expect them to fly. The colors of the plane or their log, who cares? How you treat me: Priceless.
Does your marketing strategy include how your touchpoints interact with others? Is your web site friendly, and more importantly, are you and your employees? This will gain and keep more clientele than any fancy logo or some warm and fuzzy tag line.
Develop a strategy and training to make these required skill sets second nature. And above all, keep in your QC to ensure that these policies are followed and that your customers can be heard, if and when there is ever a lapse.
Best, Edwin Dearborn

No comments:

Post a Comment