Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Networking Spider Generates More Sales


I flew to San Francisco today for an impromptu business meeting. Little did I know that the person I was going to see had already planned to attend a networking meeting for lunch. So, I went along as her guest, as members are encouraged to do so.

While everyone had their 30 seconds, to pitch their wares, one person referred to himself as a "Networking Spider." I just loved that self-ordained title. But, it got me thinking.

Many business people may be looking at how to use the web more effectively, and this is, no doubt, a necessary strategy.

But in reality, talking to people directly and doing so often is so more effective in building relationships. Again, do not think that you should now throw away your PPC campaign or all the other actions you are taking to maximize your marketing effectiveness on the web. Continue by all means!

What I am talking about is ensuring that you do not lose that human touch in business. Not only is it healthy by getting connected with others to share ideas and leads, but it really gives you a finger on the pulse of the world around you. Nothing is better than face-to-face contact.

After the lunch, the person who invited me wowed me with a spreadsheet of all the business she had contracted and sold as a result of this networking group. It was 40% of her income of a very profitable business. She has been a member for 14 years and it was paying off. The key to her success is that she demostrated persistence and hard work, qualities of an Outlier.

Want more business, more sales and more revenue? Become a Networking Spider!

Best, Edwin Dearborn

No comments:

Post a Comment